Re: starting small

[ Follow Ups ] [ CraftSmarts Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Trisha on May 09, 2002 at 14:04:01:

In Reply to: starting small posted by bbinchester on May 09, 2002 at 06:33:08:

It all depends on the requirements of the state/county/city of which you reside.

In one state I lived in:
A business name had to be registered-regardless of public or private location. This was/is a No Sales Tax state. Didn't have to do anything as far as the county went. The town required a one time permit, good for as long as the business was open to the public. Home businesses did not have to get the town permit. In this particular state, each county and town/city has their own rules.

The state I am in now, requires:
Any business, home or otherwise, must register their business name. This permit also includes the sales tax number. Personal or business name, anyone that sells is required by law to have the sales tax number. The county requires a license from them, and the city has it's own license as well.

You would probably want to check with your City/Town Hall, the revenue department of your state -usually is called Secretary of State's office, and also with your county office. Hope this information helps.

: I have been out of work for a few months and have been developing a craft project that may be interesting to others. Since I may not be able to persue this as a business if I return to work, but would still like to keep active and try to sell, I have a couple of questions...Do I need a resale number if I sell only out of my home (at a yard sale, for instance)? Do I need to have a company name, set up a business account, etc. or can I claim any proceeds as personal income at the end of the year? If you have simple answers, please post them here. If you have more detailed information, please email me. TIA

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ CraftSmarts Message Forum ] [ FAQ ]